As personal trainers, we have a moral and ethical duty to do the best for our clients. ‘Do no harm’ is the medical professions’ oath and it should be ours too.
Treating overeaters with advice and motivation to change their behaviour will always, in the end, increase their appetite.
We need to know who we are safe to work with and who we are not. This course will teach you how to screen for suspected recognised eating disorders who need to be referred out the medical appropriate specialist. The we also teach you how to screen for ‘Type 1 Artificially Attracted to Food’ clients (but don’t have an eating disorder). These Type 1 clients have had a weight issue since childhood and also need to referred to a specialist for treatment from an Intuitive Eating counsellor. You could describe these clients as having disordered eating.
The remaining people the ‘Type 2 Artificially Attracted to Food’ and the ‘Normal Instinctive Eaters’ you can work with. We teach you how to identify if your Type 2 clients are moving towards being more Type 1 in characteristics too so you can be sure you are not doing anything to increase their appetite either.
This course will teach you a tremendous amount all of which will be brand new. The whole area of using ‘intentional weight loss’ techniques being so damaging needs addressing in medicine and the fitness industry. You can be part of the solution.
You can view the current collation of the science behind Intuitive Eating, Interoceptive Awareness, Food Restriction/Dieting/Binge Eating/Inefficacy and Harm from Weight Loss here Tribole.Intuitive Eating and Selected.Studies 2021.5.01.21.
Dates and Duration
This is a distance learning up-skilling course. The total duration is a minimum of 4 weeks and up to a maximum of one year. The total number of guided learning hours is 40.
Learners must hold at least a:
- Level 3 Certificate in Personal Training
- HFI Motivational Interviewing Skills for Personal Trainers – get this for half price if you purchase as a pack with this course.
- Experienced Personal Trainers only.
This course is distance learning and consists of:
– 6 online lessons
– homework assignments
– practical assessment (audio file submission)
Location (for face-to-face days, if applicable)
This is a distance learning course, there is no face-to-face attendance required for this course.
Syllabus and Assessments’ Format
- increased long term (genuine) success of clients – no more sticking plaster solutions to weight loss
- immeasurable increase in empathy with your overeating clients
- put an end to damage to clients with inappropriate treatments
- increased referral rates as client learn about your screening to specialist treatments where necessary
- increase client loyalty when you get your client the right help to work alongside your services.
- new skills to prevent weight gain for clients previously struggling with age-related weight gain.
The programme covers:
- Screening for Eating Disorders
- Screening for Artificial Attraction to Food
- Knowing Who You Can Work With (and Who To Refer Out)
- How to Strengthen Instinctive Eating for Those On the Slide
Participants will receive:
- a copy of Alison’s Book Try Freedom – Understanding Artificial Attraction to Food (and how to cure it) – publish date tbc.
- practical procedure templates to use to work with your weight loss clients.
Your tutor is Alison Hall who is a qualified Intuitive Eating Counsellor Motivational Interviewing Trainer and a member of the Motivational Interviewing Network of Trainers. She is a highly qualified exercise specialist with over 30 years experience in the fitness industry.
Still Have Questions?
Contact Alison at HFI on 0208 568 5336 or 07799 621 456 or email